Books intelligent people must read
Who is this guy Neil deGrasse Tyson and why must you know him? maybe mainly for geeks but a lot of people follow him now. Neil deGrasse Tyson is an American astrophysicist, cosmologist, author, and science communicator. Some have described him as a champion of science, celebrator of the cosmic perspective, master of the soundbite.
How did Neil come up with this list, well he participated in Reddit’s Ask Me Anything series of public questions and answers. One reader asked him this question “Which books should be read by every single intelligent person on the planet?”
To this question Tyson offered 8 books with a little explanation on why the book is important. So go on, for all the intelligent people and yes those trying to get there get the books.
( free ebook), to learn that it’s easier to be told by others what to think and believe than it is to think for yourself
2. The System of the World ( free ebook) by Isaac Newton, to learn that the universe is a knowable place
3. On the Origin of Species ( free ebook) by Charles Darwin, to learn of our kinship with all other life on Earth
4. Gulliver’s Travels ( free ebook) by Jonathan Swift, to learn, among other satirical lessons, that most of the time humans are Yahoos
5. The Age of Reason ( free ebook) by Thomas Paine, to learn how the power of rational thought is the primary source of freedom in the world
6. The Wealth of Nations ( free ebook) by Adam Smith, to learn that capitalism is an economy of greed, a force of nature unto itself
The Prince ( free ebook) by Machiavelli, to learn that people not in power will do all they can to acquire it, and people in power will do all they can to keep it
Tyson also adds that if you read all the above books books you will get an insight into why the western history is as it is.
Happy Reading courtesy of Neil deGrasse Tyson