in

15 Migrants Die Off Libyan Coast – IOM

 

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said Wednesday that at least 15 migrants died in a shipwreck off Libya’s western coast, while five survivors were brought to shore by fishermen.

Loading...

“Desperate migrants continue to risk their lives in the Central Med fleeing abuse and exploitation, in the absence of life-saving capacity,” the IOM said in a tweet.

The IOM recently revealed that more than 200 unauthorized migrants died and over 280 others went missing on the Central Mediterranean route so far this year.

Nearly 10,000 unauthorized migrants were rescued off Libyan coast so far in 2020, while the total number was 9,225 last year, it said.

Ever since the fall of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, Libya has become a preferred departure point for migrants hoping to cross the Mediterranean toward European shores.

The IOM has repeatedly said that Libya is not a safe port for migrants’ disembarkation due to the deteriorating security condition in the country.

Loading...

Written by PH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Guinean government Says Seven Killed In Post-Election Violence

“The Protesters Didn’t Ask For War, Just For A Better Nigeria” – Antonio Rüdiger Reacts To Lekki Shooting