Perhaps it’s cool to have a twin brother or sister, twins have a special connection being two halves of a whole. But I can bet these facts about twins make them even cooler than you already thought.
1. In 2008, a married couple in the UK realized they were twins separated at birth.
The children were adopted by different parents, years after met to get marry without realising they were siblings. Finally they had to annul their marriage through court.
2. It is a known fact that the fathers of twins can be different too.
Yes, it is possible but the probability of bipaternal twins to be born is only 1:400.
3. Women who eat a lot of dairy are also more likely to have twins.
Wild yams also increase chances to develop twins.
4. Both Olsen twins had to wear fake teeth during the later years of ‘Full House,’ because their smiles began to look different with age.
The girls were losing teeth at different rates so they had to make identical smiles for Full House episodes.
5. If a pair of identical male twins has kids with identical female twins, their children will legally be cousins but fully genetic siblings.
When twins get married with two from another set of twins it is called “quaternary marriages”.
6. The most children born to one woman was 69. Before dying at the age of 40, the woman had 16 twins, 7 triplets and 4 quadruplets.
The outstanding woman died at the age of 93 in 2010.
7. Everyone has a completely unique odor… except for twins.
A couple of twins share the same DNA and have the same scents. However dogs can be trained to tell one from another even if they live in the same environment and eat identical foods.
8. Despite being very similar in appearance, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are not identical, but fraternal twins.
The sisters look monozygotic (identical) being fraternal, i.e. they don’t have exactly the same DNA.
9. The original “Siamese Twins” fathered a total of 21 children, and their descendants now number more than 1,500.
Twins Eng and Chang Bunker were born in 1811, spent childhood in the UK, then moved to Thailand.
10. Ernest Hemingway’s mother would dress him in his sister’s clothes to fulfill her fantasy of having twins.
He had a sister named Marcelline, his mother tenderly called him “Ernestine”. Both kids were called by mother “sweet Dutch dollies”. On the picture below Marcelline and Ernest are standing aside to the left and right.
11. Identical twins do not have identical fingerprints.
Fingerprints are formed in the period of mother’s pregnancy but already after separation of embryos.
12. Massachusetts has the highest rate of twins in the USA.
Five out of each hundred live births in the state are twins.
13. Twins interact with each other in the womb.
At 14 weeks twins may reach one another, at 18 weeks they tend to touch one another more than they touch themselves.
14. Some twins make up their own language.
Twin babies may develop their own speech patterns in the absence of adults. They spend much time together and have enough oral practice. Unfortunately the language disappears when the children learn the real language.
15. The chances of having a twin pregnancy is increased by maternal age (30+).
Women over 35 produce more follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) than younger women. This hormone increases women’s chances to have twins. The same hormone ironically declines woman’s fertility.