Here are 10 things you may not have known about the album:
- Jackson released “Thriller” Because of his Disappointment over “Off the Wall”
The album “Thriller” was released after “Off the Wall” in 1979. While the “Off the Wall”sold over 10 million copies, Michael was disappointed it did not win Best Album. In 1984 “Thriller” won 8 Grammys and sold 110 million copies all over the world.
- “Thriller was Jacksons 2nd Collaboration with Quincy Jones
Michael and Quincy Jones collaborated in “Off the Wall.” “Thriller” became proof of their perfect partnership. They both worked together again on the next album “Bad” which sold close to 45 million copies.
- How They Chose the Songs
Michael and Quincy listened to 700 demos, trimmed the choices to nine, and finally chose five. That was how “The Lady in My Life,” and “Beat It” became part of the album. Not mentioned often is the fact that Michael wrote “Billie Jean,” “Beat It,” “The Girl Is Mine” and “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’.”
- The Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney Duet
The Jackson-McCartney “The Girl is Mine” was the first single from the album that was released. The duet was not well received by the critics but still reached number two on the pop charts.
- “Thriller” Reinvented Music Videos
The 14-minute music video changed how viewers appreciated music videos.
- “Thriller” Broke Racial Barriers and More
“Beat It,” the video got into MTV and broke its racist tag.
- The “Victory” Tour of the Jacksons Shifted to being “Michael’s “Thriller Tour
This tour started the rift between Michael and his brothers. The main event of the “Victory” shows became Michael’s performance of ‘Billie Jean” and “Beat It” and the crowd went crazy over this.
- “Thriller” was the Kick-off of the Michael’s Transformation
After “Thriller” Michael began to change his physical appearance and underwent one surgery after another to alter his physical appearance.
- Michael Always Worked on Topping “Thriller”
Michael was forever chasing the achievements of “Thriller” which he could not. This led to his addiction.
- The ‘Thriller” Legacy
Most artist today has in one way or the other been influenced by Michael Jackson.