Proverbs are words of wisdom and wisdom is life. Proverbs are words full of hidden truths and deeper meanings. Africa is the land of proverbs. Not just proverbs but proverbs with meaning. Here are some of the African proverbs and their meaning:
1. The best way to eat an elephant in your path is cut him up into little pieces.
Meaning: The best approach to solving a problem is to take it bit by bit; one at a time.
2. No matter how hot your anger is, it cannot cook yams
Meaning: This means one can never have the anger that is burning to cause fire, it will one time cool down
3. Wherever a man goes to dwell, his character goes with him.
Meaning: What defines a man is his character which is inseparable from him and follows him wherever he goes.
4. An old lady feels uneasy when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb
Meaning: people don’t feel confantable when some one is taking about something that is touching there hearts forexample there dirty past
5. A roaring lion kills no game.
Meaning: You cannot achieve or gain anything by mere sitting around and just talking about it.
6. Don’t set sail using someone else’s star.
Meaning: Just because someone has been successful at doing something does not mean you will be successful at doing the same thing.
7. If you offend, ask for a pardon; if offended forgive.
Meaning: If you upset someone, apologize to him or her. If someone upsets you, forgive him or her.
8. Only a fool tests the depth of a river with both feet.
Meaning: You don’t jump straight into a situation without thinking about it first.
9. Do not look where you fell, but where you slipped.
Meaning: Don’t look at your mistakes; look at what caused you to make the mistakes.
10. It takes a whole village to raise a child.
Meaning: Everyone in a community should be responsible for helping to raise a child.