Here are some other amazing facts about Raymond:
1. Born in Dallas, Texas but raised and lived in Chattanooga, Tennessee until moving to Atlanta, Georgia.
2. Joined an R&B local quintet called the NuBeginnings at age 10, which was organized by local music svengali, Darryl Wheeler. Recorded 10 songs with the group in 1991, and the ensuing album, Nubeginning Featuring Usher Raymond IV, was only made available regionally and by mail order.
3. Competed on Star Search at age 13, where he was spotted by an A&R representative from LaFace Records, who arranged an audition for Usher with L.A. Reid, the co-founder of LaFace; Reid signed Usher on the spot to a contract with the record company after singing Boyz II Men hit record “End of the Road.”
4. Song “You Make Me Wanna…” won the Best Male R&B/Soul Single at the 1999 Soul Train Music Awards.
5. Rose to fame in the late 1990s with the release of his sophomore album My Way, which spawned his first U.S. Billboard Hot 100 number-one single, “Nice & Slow.”
6. Confessions (2004) established him as one of the best-selling musical artists of the 2000s decade. It sold over 20 million copies worldwide.
7. The RIAA ranks Usher as one of the best-selling artists in American music history, having sold over 23.8 million albums and 38.2 million digital songs in the United States alone.
8. Won numerous awards including eighteen Billboard Music Awards and eight Grammy Awards.
9. Under Raymond’s minority ownership, the Cleveland Cavaliers won the 2016 NBA championship.
10. Founded vanity record label US Records, in 2002. The label is a subsidiary of Clive Davis’s J Records, which is distributed by Sony BMG.
Married Tameka Foster in 2007, they divorced in 2009. He is currently married to longtime girlfriend, Grace Miguel. Raymond has two children.