We all have our stories. Things and happenings that brought us into our present. In as much as we cannot go back to the past, we still relate to it to show how eventful our journey has been.
This Is Anthony Joshua’s success story. From being a menial worker to being an inmate once..
Here are facts you might not know about the Nigerian-born England boxer.
1.Boxing Champion Of Nigeria Ancestry Anthony Joshua wanted to represent Nigeria at the 2012 olympics. But a coach in nigeria told him there was no chance. Joshua reportedly asked to join nigerian trials but was told that if he was good enough, he’d represent england instead of coming back to nigeria.
2. Joshua was born to a nigerian mother and a father of Nigerian and Irish descent. His cousin is fellow unbeaten professional boxer, Ben Ileyemi. The pair made their professional debut together in 2013
3. Joshua grew up much of his early years in nigeria and returned to U.K Halfway through Year 7 to join kings langley secondary school. He became a boxer in 2007 at the age of 18 after he was encouraged by his cousin.
4. As an upcoming boxer, joshua won numerous bouts and competition which made him a kid to watch out for
In 2011, He made it to the world amateur boxing championship in azerbaijan where he won silver medal.
Joshua won a olympic gold for great britain at the london olympics in 2012.
As an amatuer, he won a gold medal in the super heavy-weight division at the 2012 olympics
5 .As of march 2016, joshua is ranked the world’s 8 best heavy weight boxer by the ring magazine. And currently boasts of a 100 percent knock out ratio.
6. He has won all the 15 bouts of his professional career
7. He worked as a bricklayer before taking up boxing full time
8.His mother yeti odusanya has not been in one of joshua’s bout since his defeat in the 2011 world amateur boxing championship in azerbaijan
9. In 2009, joshua was remanded in reading prison U.K for what he describes as fighting and other crazy stuff. He was made to wear a electronic tag on his ankle when released.
10. In march 2011, joshua was pulled over by police for overspeeding in Colindale, North London. He was found with 8 ounces of herbal cannabis hidden in his sports bag in his mercedes benz. He was charged with possession with intent to supply a class b drug.An offence that carries a maximum of 14 years sentence.
11. Joshua was suspended From GB boxing squad and was sentenced to a 12-month community order and 100 hours unpaid work after pleading guilty at crown court