The 2015 edition of the MTV Africa Music Awards comes up in 10 days and we can’t wait. Photo: BHM
It is exactly 10 days to the biggest music awards on the African continent and NET brings you 10 things you need to know about the prestigious event…
- MAMA returns to South Africa for the 2ndconsecutive year. The event holds at the Durban International Convention Centre, KwaZulu-Natal on Saturday, July 18, 2015.
- International singer, Ne-yo is performing at this year’s event. He will be joined by Davido, Yemi Alade, Diamond Platnumz, Cassper Nyovest and Bucie.
- Organisers have introduced a new category, ‘MAMA Evolution’ which will be celebrating the ‘Artiste of the Decade’. 2face, Asa and Psquare are nominated in this category alongside Fally Ipupa,Samini, HHP, Chameleone, Black Cofee and Anselmo Ralph.
- Nigeria has the highest number of nominations. Of the 15 categories being voted for, Nigerian artistes are nominated in 13. Davido is nominated in 3 categories which are Best Male, Best Collaboration (Davido feat Uhuru & DJ Buckz – The Sound) and Video of the year (Davido Ft Uhuru & DJ Buckz – The Sound).
- This year, Beyonce battles Big Sean, Chris Brown, Nicki Minaj and Rihanna for the Best International Act at MAMA. Pharrell Williams won the same award for last year’s edition.
- Manchester City star Yaya Toure is nominated for the Personality of the Year award alongside Nigerian comedian, Basketmouth, actor, OC Ukeje and South African media personalities,Bonang Matheba and Trevor Noah.
- The July 18, 2015 event is the 5th edition of MAMA. The first edition held at the Velodrome in Abuja, Nigeria in 2008 while the 2nd edition was held at the Moi International Sports Centre in Nairobi, Kenya. The award returned to Nigeria in 2010 and held at the Expo Hall of Eko Hotel and Suites in Lagos. After a three year hiatus, the award returned in 2014 and was held at KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa, same venue of this year’s edition.
- This year’s event holds on July 18, a date famous for being the birthday of former South African President and global icon, Nelson Mandela.
- The 2015 edition of MAMA would be broadcasted live on MTV, MTV Base and BET, which about 1billion people are expected to watch live across the world.
- Organisers of the award have just added 2face, Wizkid, AKA, Black Motion and Toofan to the list of earlier announced performers like Ne-yo, Yemi Alade and Davido for the event.