Aloe vera is a plant species of the genus Aloe. It grows wild in tropical climates around the world and is cultivated for agricultural and medicinal uses. Aloe is also used for decorative purposes and grows successfully indoors as a potted plant.
Here is why aloe vera is beneficial to our skin and different ways it can be applied:
2. Antibacterial & antifungal
How does Aloe Vera help your skin?
1. It acts as a moisturizer – Aloe moisturizes the skin without giving it a greasy feel, so it`s perfect for anyone with an oily skin complexion. For men: Aloe vera gel can be used as an aftershave treatment as its healing properties can treat small cuts caused by shaving.
2. It treats acne- Aloe vera gel contains two hormones: Auxin and Gibberellins. These two hormones provide wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce skin inflammation. Gibberellin in aloe vera acts as a growth hormone stimulating the growth of new cells. It allows the skin to heal quickly and naturally with minimal scarring. Aloe is soothing and can reduce skin inflammations, blistering, and itchiness, while helping the skin to heal more rapidly.
3. It gets rid of dark spots and stretch marks over time – The skin is like one big piece of elastic that’ll expand and contract as needed to accommodate growth. But if the skin stretches too far, too fast (due to pregnancy, rapid weight gain or loss) the elasticity of the skin can be damaged. That’s what leaves stretch marks. These marks appear due to minor tears in the layers of the skin caused by sudden and excessive stretching. Aloe vera gel can help hide these stretch marks by healing these wounds.
4. It works great as a makeup remover- You have to get the stubborn eye makeup off somehow, but many makeup removers contain harsh chemicals that are very drying to your skin. You can squeeze a dollop of pure aloe gel onto a cotton ball and swipe away the day for a simple and effective alternative.
5. It works great as an eyebrow gel – Looking for a cheap alternative to the regular eyebrow gel? Dip your eyebrow spoolie in some aloe vera juice and you are good to go!
There are various ways you can use aloe vera to treat your skin:
1. Face mask
- First of all you need to find the aloe vera. You may have some growing in your backyard, look out for it. You can also purchase it at health food stores, some grocery stores, and online.
- Slice the skin (green part) off the aloe vera to expose the gel like substance in the center. (Let me warn you that I personally could not stand the smell! Even thinking about it gives me shivers.)
- Carefully peel off the aloe vera gel from the leaves and put into a plastic or glass bowl.
- Squeeze the juice out of 1 lemon.
- Pour both the gel and the lemon juice into a blender and blend for 1 minute.
- Pour out the concoction and use on your face once/twice a week. Leave the mixture on (good luck with the smell) for 15-20 minutes at a time and proceed to wash with your regular face wash.
This mask helps get rid of dark spots, acne scars, and sunburn. It also keeps the skin moisturized. You can also replace lemon juice with honey if you please.
2. Makeup remover
- Squeeze a few drops of the aloe vera gel onto a cotton ball or cotton pad and use as your makeup remover (especially for stubborn eye makeup).
The aloe vera gets rid of the makeup and keeps your eye area extremely moisturized which prevents dark circles under the eyes.
3. Brown sugar face scrub
- Mix one tablespoon each of brown sugar, coconut oil, and aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Massage into skin in a circular motion.
Leave the scrub on for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
4. Spot treatment
- Use a cotton bud to dab aloe vera gel on your acne scars/acne twice a day.
You will notice that your acne will begin to heal quicker and your acne scars will begin to fade away. This plant is truly a miracle plant.