Aaliyah Dana Haughton was an American singer, dancer, actress, and model. She became an overnight R&B sensation. Sadly, a plane crash killed Aaliyah and eight members of her film crew in 2001. She was twenty-two at the time of her death.
Check out these other inspiring facts to remember about legendary singer & dancer Aaliyah:
1. Aaliyah Dana Haughton was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Diane (Hankerson) and Michael Haughton.
2. Aaliyah got her first major exposure appearing on the syndicated television series Star Search (1983), where she awed the audience with her amazing voice and talent, singing “My Funny Valentine.”
3. She sang with Gladys Knight in a five-night stint in Las Vegas at age eleven.
4. During her senior year, Aaliyah went on to record “One In A Million”, which featured the songwriting talents of major R&B producers/writers Missy Elliott and Tim Mosley.
5. R. Kelly assisted Aaliyah with the production of her debut album “Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number,” which scored several number hits, specifically “Back and Forth.”
6. Aaliyah, at age 15, married R. Kelly, who was in his 20s. Aaliyah denied the union and the marriage was reportedly annulled.
7. In August 2001, Aaliyah took time off from her busy album promotional tour to fly to the Bahamas to film a video for the song “Rock the Boat”.
8. After filming the video, “Rock the Boat.” Aaliyah and about 9-11 of her entourage took off from Marsh Harbour airport at 6:50pm EDT in a small Cessna 404 en route to Opa-Locka, Florida. A few minutes after take-off, the plane crashed about 200 feet from the runaway, killing Aaliyah and many others instantly.
9. At the time of her death, Aaliyah and her boyfriend, Roc-A-Fella co-CEO Damon Dash, had plans to wed.