A lot of artists and musicians have dabbled into other business ventures. Most chose the fashion industry because it is one of the most successful businesses that rakes in millions each year. Here are our five favorite African-American artists who launched their own fashion label.
- Sean Combs – He is also known as Diddy, P. Diddy, and Puff Daddy. He is a rapper, record producer, actor, and fashion designer.
Combs launched his fashion label, Sean John in 1998. His company was awarded the Menswear Designer of the Year by the Council of Fashion Designers of America in 2004.
- Beyoncé – In 2004 Beyoncé and her mom went into fashion and started the ready-to-wear line, House of Deréon. The brand has successfully reached a global platform. Beyoncé and her sister expanded the collection and came up with a junior line but was eventually discontinued.
Beyoncé is a singer, songwriter, record producer, and actress and one of the most celebrated female artists of all time.
- Jay-Z – He is a rapper, songwriter, record producer, and entrepreneur. Jay-Z is the co-founder of Rocawear, urban clothing brand. This became a global brand and brings in hundreds of millions in sales yearly. Rocawear sells clothes and accessories for men, women, and children.
In 2007, he sold his rights to the brand to another company but continued to keep his stake in the company as well as supervise certain departments. Jay-Z is one of the most financially successful artists.
- Will.I.Am – He started his own signature clothing line in 2001 called, i.am. and officially debuted in 2005. Later on, he collaborated with Blue Holdings to create a denim clothing line in 2007. However, he is being sued for not completing the project.
Will.I.Am is a singer, rapper, songwriter, DJ, actor, record producer, businessman, and philanthropist. He is the co-founder of the popular group, Black Eyed Peas.
- Pharrell Williams – He is the co-founder of Billionaire Boys Club and Ice Cream Footwear. At the same time, he collaborated with Adidas and launched his NMD Human Race collection. He also co-owns the Neptunes, a record production label and I am OTHER, a multimedia company that covers music, entertainment, art, and fashion which houses the Billionaire Boys Club.
Pharrell is a celebrated singer, rapper, songwriter, record producer, and fashion designer. He is also the lead vocalist/drummer of N*E*R*D, a hip-hop, funk, and rock band.