Perhaps you’ve met an older local in your area who sits you down and tells you about all the changes they’ve seen happen in the city. While it can be fascinating to learn about how the city landscape or culture has evolved, sometimes it’s hard to actually visualize all the change that has happened because you don’t know have anything to compare it against.
Below, we’ve compiled eleven photos of how cities have changed over decades. With life passing us by so fast, sometimes we forget that nothing stays the same, including our surroundings. Check out the way these cities have changed in less than a century. Can you imagine what they’ll look like when they do hit that 100-year mark?
1. BEIJING, CHINA – THE 1940S VS. TODAY
2. DUBAI, UAE – THE 1980S VS. TODAY
3. FORTALEZA, BRAZIL – 1980 VS. THE PRESENT
4. HONG KONG – THE 1960S VS. THE PRESENT
5. MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA – 1920 VS. NOW
6. NAIROBI, KENYA – THE 1960S VS. NOW
7. SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA – 1950 VS. TODAY
8. SHANGHAI, CHINA – 1990 VS. TODAY
9. SINGAPORE – THE 1960S VS. NOW
10. TORONTO, CANADA – 1930 VS. NOW
11. LAGOS, NIGERIA – THE 1990S VS. THE PRESENT