Check out these other cool facts about Niane:
1. Born on October 23, 1960.
2. While a young child, Katoucha and her family was forced into exile after her father came into conflict with Guinean President, Sekou Toure.
3. She lived with an uncle in Mali, before rejoined her family in Dakar at the age of 12.
4. Married at the age of 17 and giving birth to her first child, they emigrated to France.
5. In the 1980s that she began modeling; first for Thierry Mugler, then for Paco Rabanne and Christian Lacroix, and became known as Yves Saint Laurent’s “muse.”
6. Recognized as one of the best models in France, and an icon in Guinea.
7, In 2005, she worked as host of the French-language television program France’s Next Top Model.
8, She starred in the film Ramata (2007), directed by Léandre-Alain Baker, in which she played the title role.
9. Niane stopped modeling in 1994 to focus on activism. She had been an outspoken activist against female circumcision, a rite performed in some African nations.
10. Katoucha lived in a houseboat on the Seine, near the Alexander III bridge in Paris. On 1 February 2008, she returned to her houseboat from a party. This was the last time she was reportedly seen alive. It is believed by police that Niane was intoxicated and fell into the Seine, no foul play was suspected. Her body was found in the Seine River on February 28, 2008.